Re: [BCAB] Using screen readers and hearing aids Lewis Crack 21 Nov 2012 12:44 GMT

Hi Matty.

I have hearing aids (have had them since 5 years old). I have the direct input lead that connects directly to the hearing aid via a special shoe as Caroline mentioned.
I think they are around £20.00 from RNID.

As to the others I think they are around a similar price range, maybe up to £50.00.
A Braille Display is also extremely helpful when using JAWS or any other Screen REader with a hearing loss, as you can read it via Braille. Maybe Access To Work could fund you one?
I have 2 (one I got funded when I was 13, which was 9 years ago, and the other I got through my DSA via University in February of this year), and they have helped me a lot.
By the way, if you want any personal advice on hearing loss, and how things work, feel free to email me privately to talk.
My email address I will send to you off list.
Hope the above information helps you.
REgards.
Lewis.
--
Sent from my MacBook 13inch.

On 21 Nov 2012, at 11:53, Caroline Silvferberg <ces@deafblindinteract.org.uk> wrote:

> Matty,
>
> In an open plan office, you will probably find it easier to be plugged into the computer than to use speakers so that background
> noise is less of a problem for you.
>
> If your hearing aids have a T setting for using an induction loop, you could buy a neck loop or induction hooks.  Both plug into a
> headphone socket and work with the T setting.  Neck loops are just a loop of wire that goes around your neck and give mono sound.
> Induction hooks are little loops that you put over the top of your ear (alongside a behind the ear hearing aid) and can give stereo
> sound.  Both are more expensive than headphones but not too much so.
>
> Some hearing aids have a direct audio input.  If yours do, you can get a direct audio lead, which plugs into a headphone socket and
> then into each hearing aid.  You might need to also get what's known as a direct input shoe for each of your hearing aids.  That
> just enables the lead to connect to the aid.  This option is a bit more expensive than a loop but not much and in my experience
> gives better quality sound.
>
> Some hearing aids have Bluetooth.  If the aids don't, you can buy Bluetooth receivers that plug into the direct audio inputs.  I'm
> less clear on how the Bluetooth works as I've no experience of it.
>
> There are lots of possible providers but I've used www.deafequipment.co.uk and the Action on Hearing Loss online shop in the past.
>
> I hope you find something that works for you.
>
> Regards,
>
> Caroline
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bcab [mailto:bcab-bounces@lists.bcab.org.uk] On Behalf Of Leach, Matthew
> Sent: 21 November 2012 11:03
> To: BCAB Discussion List
> Subject: [BCAB] Using screen readers and hearing aids
>
> Good morning.
>
> The subject line says it all.  I am currently working in an open plan office using JAWS as my screen reader with headphones.  At the
> moment I am wearing one hearing aid but at some time in the next couple of months will be wearing two.  I should appreciate guidance
> from those members in a similar position, e.g. should I be plugged into the computer or have a set of speakers to enable me to carry
> out my work.  Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Matty.
>
>
> Matthew Leach
> Secretary
> Dickinson Dees LLP
> Tel:+44 191 279 9646
> Fax:+44 191 230 8501
> www.dickinson-dees.com
>
>
>
>
>
> If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail please notify the originator or telephone 0191 279 9000. This e-mail and any
> attachments have been scanned for viruses. Dickinson Dees LLP will not be liable for any losses as a result of any viruses being
> passed on. The contents of any e-mail which does not relate to the official business of the firm is neither given nor endorsed by
> it. Nothing in this e-mail or any attachment should be construed as an undertaking of the firm unless specifically identified as
> such.
>
> Dickinson Dees LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales under number OC317661. Our registered office
> is St Ann's Wharf, 112 Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 3DX,where a list of members' names is open to inspection. Dickinson Dees
> LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority for legal work. Authorised and regulated by the Financial
> Services Authority for financial services work.
>
> Our FSA registration number is 448603. Our VAT registration number is GB123393627.
> --
> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring, please visit our website:
> http://www.bcab.org.uk/
>
> To manage your subscription to the BCAB mailing list, please visit our website:
> http://www.bcab.org.uk/bcab-discussion-list/
>
> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email moderator@bcab.org.uk.
>
>
> --
> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring, please visit our website:
> http://www.bcab.org.uk/
>
> To manage your subscription to the BCAB mailing list, please visit our website:
> http://www.bcab.org.uk/bcab-discussion-list/
>
> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email moderator@bcab.org.uk.