Email list hosting service & mailing list manager

(Previous discussion continued)
Re: [BCAB] urgent exernal hard drive help need Andrew Hodgson (14 Dec 2012 12:53 GMT)
Re: [BCAB] urgent exernal hard drive help need Mobeen Iqbal (14 Dec 2012 12:59 GMT)

Re: [BCAB] urgent exernal hard drive help need Andrew Hodgson 14 Dec 2012 12:53 GMT

Hi,

It is highly likely the data is still on the drive but the FS is damaged.  See if you can run a chkdsk on the drive, or it may need a toolset such as Active Disk Recovery suite (which is what I use for such jobs).

It is always easier to say this after the event but one backup is never really sufficient for this type of data, you should use at least two drives to store this type of stuff, especially if you are using that drive as a working drive.

Andrew.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bcab [mailto:bcab-bounces@lists.bcab.org.uk] On Behalf Of Tassie da hiphop kid
Sent: 14 December 2012 00:50
To: access-uk@freelists.org; bcab@lists.bcab.org.uk
Subject: [BCAB] urgent exernal hard drive help need

Hey y'all.

I have a 2 tb fat32 hard drive which i regularly use between a windows 7 and xp computer with out issue.  Now suddenly i plugged it into my windows 7 laptop and get the message "you must format the disk before you can use it." I tried it in the xp computer and it didn't see the drive.  The only thing i can think has caused it is my niece pulling the usb cable out mid way through a song.
Now here's my real problem...  What can i do  to fix this.  If i format the disk i'll lose 2 tb of photos, music and programs - quite a lot are irretrievable such as videos of my late father.
Also the drive will become ntfs which i do not want as then it will not work on my braillenote however i can't access the contents of the drive at present.  I know that the hard drive isn't damaged so it has something to do with a corrupt communication file.

Can anyone help me out?

Louise.

--
To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring, please visit our website:
http://www.bcab.org.uk/

To manage your subscription to the BCAB mailing list, please visit our website:
http://www.bcab.org.uk/bcab-discussion-list/

To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email moderator@bcab.org.uk.